Clause Components & Patterns
This teacher-led online grammar course will make you skilled in identifying and analysing various components of a sentence and forming independent clauses which are necessary when taking any high school exam as well as help you everyday academic and personal communication.
Writing meaningful sentences correctly is the goal of any learner of grammar. This online course analyses independent clause and teaches you how to write meaningful and correct simple sentences. The knowledge gathered by doing the course will help you face competitive exams like varsity admission, IELTS, TOEFL, etc. Besides, you will feel confident while doing any further grammar course of university level.
Lesson 1: Introduction
This first lesson provides an overview of the course.
- Lesson 1 Video
- Lesson discussion: Reason for taking the course.
Lesson 2: Independent Clause
This lesson tells you what an assertive simple sentence or independent clause is.
- Lesson 2 Video
- Practice Worksheet
- Exercise 1: Identify the assertive sentence.
- Exercise 2: Identify independent clause.
- Exercise 3: Form simple sentences
Lesson 3: Clause Components
In this lesson, you will learn what five components make a sentence and where they appear.
- Lesson 3 Video
- Exercise 1: Identify the finite verb.
- Exercise 2: Identify the subject.
- Exercise 3: Identify the object.
- Exercise 4: Identify the complement.
- Exercise 5: Identify the adjunct.
Lesson 4: Finite Verb
This lesson will teach you what a finite verb is, which 26 forms they have and how to identify and use them in the sentence.
- Lesson 4 Video
- Exercise 1: Finite Verb
- Exercise 1: Finite verb phrase
- Exercise 2: Tensed forms active
- Exercise 3: Tensed forms passive
- Exercise 4: Conjugate the verb 'go.'
- Exercise 5: Conjugate the verb 'do' in passive.
Lesson 5: Noun Phrase
This lesson deals with the forms and patterns of noun phrases, the components that make a noun phrase and where noun phrases are used.
- Lesson 5 Video
- Exercise 1: Structure of Noun Phrase
- Exercise 2: Determiner + Noun
- Exercise 3: Premodifier + Noun
- Exercise 4: Noun + Postmodifiers
- Exercise 5: Premodifier + Noun + Postmodifier
Lesson 6: Subjects
- Lesson 6 Video
- Exercise 1: Noun as Subject
- Exercise 2: Pronoun as Subject
- Exercise 3: Gerund as Subject
- Exercise 4: Infinitive as Subject
- Exercise 5: Pronoun as Subject
- Exercise 6: Noun Phrase as Subject
Lesson 7: Objects
- Lesson 7 Video
- Exercise 1: Noun as Object
- Exercise 2: Pronoun as Object
- Exercise 3: Gerund as Object
- Exercise 4: Infinitive as Object
- Exercise 5: Noun Phrase as Object
- Exercise 6: Direct Object after Mono transitive Verbs
- Exercise 7: Direct Objects after Ditransitive Verbs
- Exercise 8: Indirect Objects
Lesson 8: Subject Complement
- Lesson 8 Video
- Exercise 1: Linking Verbs
- Exercise 2: Adjective as Subject Complements
- Exercise 3: Adverbial as Subject Complements
- Exercise 4: Noun as Subject Complements
- Exercise 4: Pronoun as Subject Complements
- Exercise 4: Noun Phrase as Subject Complements
Lesson 9: Object Complements
- Lesson 9 Video
- Exercise 1: Verbs that follow object complements.
- Exercise 2: Adjective as Object Complements
- Exercise 3: Noun Phrase as Object Complements
Lesson 10: Adjuncts
Lesson 11: Structures
9 Patterns of Independent Clause/ Simple Sentence
Lesson 12: NP1 + Be + Adjective
Subject + Linking Verb + Subject Complement (Adjective)
Lesson 13: NP1 + Be + Adverb
Subject + Linking Verb + Subject Complement (Adverb)
Lesson 14: NP1 + Be + NP1
Subject + Linking Verb + Subject Complement (Noun)
Lesson 15: NP + VI
Subject + Intransitive Verb
Lesson 16: NP1 + VT + NP2
Subject + Transitive Verb + Object
Lesson 17: NP1 + VT + NP2 + NP3
Subject + Transitive Verb + Object + Object
Lesson 18: NP1 + VT + NP2 + Adjective
Subject + Transitive Verb + Object + Object Complement (Adjective)
Lesson 19: NP1 + VT + NP2 + NP2
Subject + Transitive Verb + Object Complement (Noun)
Lesson 20: Dummy Subject
There + Verb + Subject